Monday, June 12, 2006

unmotivated uninspired... just taking a break

So, where have I been?
Here, mostly...

I've not felt much like blogging.
Uninspired, unmotivated? Mostly just taking a break, I suppose.

The school year is over. We had our end of the year departmental picnic. It was nice. The boys had a good time. It was good to gather with my colleagues. I'm not so depressed lately, about not having a permanent gig. To some extent I've grown accustomed to it. I'm less bitter and discouraged at each new rejection letter. I'm ready for a fresh start, for the new season to begin (but that won't happen for another couple months, trickling in with listings in Australia and New Zealand in the late summer, and early postings stateside in September). I'm a little apprehensive about having to ask my recommenders for yet another new letter to keep my file up to date. After about the fiftieth application, I've only been leaning on my dissertation chair to draft targetted letters, except in exceptional cases. I've just been thinking about other things.

I've been cleaning up the house, organizing, taking care of finances (have to invest the proceeds from our house sale). And, thinking ahead to next year, and beyond. The previous month had been so filled with activity and travel, that I feel I needed a chance to simply recoup and recover. I'm still around. I'll be back.

I hope you are all well.

1 comment:

L said...

It's good to hear from you. I truly hope the new season brings better perspectives your way, maybe even a great job! Meanwhile, at least we can comiserate together in the blogosphere :)