Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Rewrite

Alright, so I tweaked the CV a bit, putting "Honors & Awards" on page 1, not page 3. I cut down my references list from 11 to 5. I cut out extraneous details (like the city of publication for journals I've published in). Finally, I added a separate heading for Conference Panels that I've organized and/or chaired.

I also completely rewrote a new cover letter, expanding to two full pages. I detailed more about what my dissertation accomplished. I wrote two whole paragraphs on my current and planned research agenda. I included three paragraphs on my teaching, lectures, conference presentations, and other public activities, talking about courses I've taught, new courses I propose, and my general approach and philosophy to the subject matter.

My dissertation chair (yes, I got him to email me!) suggests that I work a bit more on the opening paragraph (since it may be the only one they read) to be "more of a summary and less of an introduction." As he puts it:

In general, I find it better when people speak of their enthusiasms rather than their accomplishments, and use a cover letter to do the kinds of things you can't do in a CV; that is, convey the flavor of the applicant and their thought.

This one goes out to an Ivy League school tomorrow. Wish me well.

6 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

This all sounds great! I like the changes you made to the CV and cover letter. Also, I'm glad your dissertation chair wrote back. I like the idea of the letter conveying "enthusiasms." I hadn't thought about it quite like that before.

Best wishes!

Wanna Be PhD said...

Hi Dad, I'm new to your blog. I do wish you well!!
I think one should not only write about one's research agenda, but also take care to make the research agenda fit to the department's research line. Like, why one wants to do research on X and Y in exactly THIS department (and not another one).

ArticulateDad said...

BrightStar: I may be from left field, but I don't think I'm out of my league.

WannaBePhD: Good point. I hadn't quite thought of it that way. Surely, I spend the effort to speak to the specifics of the job ad, but you're calling for one step further. I'll have to think about that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous! I agree with brightstar...people like to hear what it is about THIS job that attracts you and why you feel like you are the best fit for IT.

When I conducted job interviews, that was always part of the discussion. What they said in this area did matter, especially when I had 2 or 3 similarly qualified applicants. Good luck!

BrightStar (B*) said...

I don't think you're out of your league. I'm confused.

ArticulateDad said...

BrightStar: Apologies, just me being unclear. The remark wasn't really in direct reaction to yours (so your confusion was warranted).

I guess I was trying to acknowledge your comments, and add my own. Suffice it to say, I'm feeling pretty good about these changes, and about all the feedback I've been getting (including yours). :)