Monday, November 13, 2006

Bane with an antidote

Remember my "bane of the interdisciplinary" post a couple months ago? Here's the update:
Dear Articulate,

After one talk has been withdrawn, we are pleased to be able to offer you the free slot (20 min. talk + 10 min. discussion) at the [subfield] workshop to be held at the [Field 2 conference]. Could you please let us know whether you are willing to attend the workshop and present your paper?

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With kind regards,

The Organizers

I've booked a flight, made hotel reservations, and sent confirmation of my planned attendance. I'm pretty psyched. I've presented for [Field 2] audiences before, but this is my first [Field 2] conference, and the subfield that is the focus of this conference is right up my research alley. What I will be presenting crosses the disciplinary boundaries, presents some of my dissertation work, some of my more recent work following up on that and pointing toward fruitful cross-disciplinary forays.

Today, I need to complete a job application for a Canadian university which sounds really promising. Next, I need to draft up an abstract (due by Friday) for a conference essentially on [Field 1 & Field 2 studies]! Yup, there's an upcoming conference that I really don't want to miss. I may have posted about it before. It's the first of two conferences I was contacted about by the organizers asking me to post their call on my PRW. Abstract deadline for the second is in a month. I've got about 10 more job applications to submit, and a guest lecture (~2.5 hours) to prepare before that one. Work is good. Having deadlines for presentations helps to motivate me.

And, I signed a 9-month lease this morning for an office space all my own. I insisted on no more than 9 months, so I'd be pretty much on the academic calendar. I should get the keys on tomorrow or Wednesday. They painted on Friday, and new carpeting will go in today or tomorrow. I'm going to get a small desk and chair, bring over a file cabinet and a small two-drawer chest from home, and probably buy a small bookcase as well. This should be good.

No comments: