Friday, March 10, 2006

A typical morning

[... knock... scritch... jingle jingle... kschwoo...]

Painter: Ducky opened the door.

[He carries a stuffed "Ty silk" duck, which in fact more resembles a platypus, or a flattened duck. This is his "friend".]

Me: uhnnn
Painter: Hi daaady! Will you please get me some milk?
Me: Uhnnn... what time is it? What does the clock say?
Painter: 6...2...3
Me: Unh hnn... it's 6:23. That's too early.
Painter: When will you get me some milk?
Me: at 7...
Painter: what are the numbers?
Me: 7..0..0
Painter: Oh... okay... why won't you get me milk now, daddy?
Me: It's too early.
Painter: But why?
Me: We go through this every morning. And every morning I say I'll get you the milk at 7. Daddy needs his sleep. Why don't you just come snuggle?

[Problem is... we have a "Full" bed... The Inventor (1;4) is already in bed nursing by this point... The Painter has left the door open, so the three cats have migrated to the bed ooh... warm spot!. It's a good thing the wife and I are both small.]

Painter: Now it says 6...2...8
Me: uhnn urgggh

[Painter proceeds to stretch out, pushing me with his feet.]

[I get up to pee. I crawl back in bed... there's really little point in this. I get up at 6:43, and wander to my computer, to mindlessly check email and Bloglines.]

[Half a minute later...]

Painter: Daaaddy? Will you get me some milk?
Me: I'd be deligh-
Painter: Cause the milk-time clock says it's 43-o'clock, and that means it's milk time.

[SIGH!]

2 comments:

Ahistoricality said...

I wonder how hold they have to be before the concept "too early, go back to sleep" starts to make sense? Little Anachronism doesn't get it, either...

Leslie M-B said...

As frustrating as this scenario is to you, it's damn cute!

Mr. Trillwing and I, BTW, would at this point be thrilled if Lucas let us both sleep in past 5. :P