Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Check, check

  • NEH Fellowship proposal submission
    • Check
  • Campus visit to Temporary Post U scheduled
    • Check
    • (OUCH! I leave my home airport around 9:00 on Wednesday morning, and arrive in Beautiful Nowhere just before 11:00 pm local time. Thursday, interviews and teaching demo, all day. Depart by plane Friday afternoon, arriving back home around 10:30 pm local time)
    • Can I really do this? [SIGH] It's my choice. But right now, it's a selection of one... like a restaurant that's sold out of everything but the cabbage soup. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I won't like cabbage soup. I might love it. I just... well, I just wish I had more choices.
    • Other aspect, revealed over the phone today with the chair of the search committee (the prof who's going on sabbatical for the term, thus the reason for the post): I'd be teaching three classes, yeah, but two sections of one of them, making it 4 classes, right? We'll see. I'm not going to get too worked up about anything for now. If it looks good, it's probably worth making the sacrifices for a semester. If it doesn't work out, well, I'm no worse than I started, and, hey, I got a nice vacation in the airports in Beautiful Nowhere.
  • Prepare paper for conference this weekend
    • Uh... not yet.
    • Oh... I discovered it's not 15-20 minutes... but 30. Then again, if I schedule for 20 minutes of talk, with 10 minutes of discussion, that's not so bad. Besides, I'll likely run 20 minutes into 23 or so. Better to be concise and done early, than wordy and run over. Hopefully there'll be discussion.
  • Then, I've got to work up my teaching demo, the syllabus for my application to Tough Commute U. (and finally send it off). Then, when I can breathe again, I'll finish reading this book for the review, and write up and send in my review.
  • What then? [SIGH]
  • Hmmm. I wonder if our house is actually going to close. Today is the (extended) deadline on resolving all issues. Since we refused to give another dime, it's up to the agents to deal with whether they're going to fill the gap (or speak reason into the buyer). Doesn't matter to me. I just want to know one way or the other.

No comments: