Okay, seems like it was a false alarm. The Rocket Scientist has been having a terrible time with this decision. It has been hers, all along, as I have made clear to her, though I have made every effort to be her mirror, reflecting her thoughts, desires, concerns, hopes, fears, amplifying here, obscuring there, adding additional considerations, as necessary.
Yesterday morning, there were some rumors floating about at her work that more layoffs were to be expected, that certain (or all) current projects were slated to be moved to a larger facility a few hours away. She was nervous, or at least concerned. She later spoke with some people in positions to know. It seems that what she heard from them was sufficient to allay her concerns.
She spoke with HR at RC today. Would any amount of money make the difference? I've gotten authorization... No, not really, not at this time. It's just a matter of timing. The work sounds quite interesting. I would love to work at Rocket Central. But the timing isn't right for us as a family. Alright, well, if circumstances change... obviously we'd need to have a position open, but you've certainly not burned any bridges.
Wow! What I wouldn't give to be in her shoes right now. But then... I grin just thinking about her success. I'm glad just to be by her side, as she sails along. Her Honey, I'm home kiss tonight was... quite passionate, shall we say. Her toast at dinner: to steering our ship together. Indeed. I'm quite the lucky one, even as co-pilot.
Everything will work out. I know. One way or another, this ship is ours to sail.