Wednesday, February 22, 2006

... and on ...

The edit goes on... and on. Finished editing the next section of analysis and discussion. Up to 9714 words. Got another idea of someone to send the article to. He's one of the founding editors of the top journal in a closely related subfield of my primary discipline (where somedays I suspect I more belong). He also happens to know the language that much of the materials I'm working with were written. I've had infrequent but pleasant contact with him over the years. He might read it and make suggestions about where to submit. Then again, he might ignore it. What have I got to lose?

... Got some DayQuil this morning. Feeling a bit better, though still less than well.

1 comment:

ArticulateDad said...

Snort... You know, it's not like I go out and say, gosh, I think I'm gonna write me a 68 page paper. I remember as a freshman (my second time as a freshman, not the first or third time, mind you) one of the students paraded around campus (it was small school) for about a week with his year-end honors thesis, proud of its bulk (about three times the average length). I thought, well, if it took you that much space to say something interesting...

But, this article happens to be distilled from my dissertation at more than 62,000 words. So, I've already cut down 2/3rds. Funny though, I remember remarking to a friend of mine a couple years ago about his dissertation distillation article draft that he sent me. At about 30 pages or so, it just seemed too long to me. Looking at the length of articles in the top journal in my field however, where I still think I might submit, this is probably about average, or slightly more so, but not out of line.

Then again, I'm no longer a student. Got to keep reminding myself of that! So your methodologist's advice doesn't apply, right?