Friday, February 17, 2006

Highs and lows

I feel like a weather system these days: highs and lows.
  • 6000 words written and edited as the first part of an article summarizing part of my dissertation. All that remains are the examples and analysis. High.
  • Newest realtor suggests an asking price fully 9% lower than our last price, which was already reduced 9% from our opening price. Gah! I guess this is why they say don't consider your house an investment. Low.
  • Finances are still in order, regardless. High.
  • Our car is still at the dealership for warranty work (since last Saturday), and they think it'll be another week at least. Low.
  • New job postings sound exciting. At least, I'm still able to get excited about possibilities. High.
  • Still no bites or nibbles on the numerous applications I have already made. Low.
  • I hear the birds singing outside my window. Spring is just around the corner. High.

4 comments:

ArticulateDad said...

Thanks. I hope I don't cause any damage.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of it was newly written. Some of it is quotes and description of the articles I've been translating the past couple weeks. The remainder was cut and pasted, and severely edited down from the dissertation. It's funny to hold about 10 pages (single-spaced) in my hands and think they distill one major thesis of my dissertation.

I think I'll be ready to send this off in about a week (once I go through all my examples, and make selections, then edit of course). I'll tone down the criticism of others, since it's a good start for me, but a bad finish. It gets me thinking and writing... but if I'm right about my arguments, and they are well-stated, perhaps I'll convince those colleagues without offending them.

I'll have to check out the Frog and Toad books. Sounds fun.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I'm glad you're able to see the highs along with the lows. Sometimes I only focus on the lows.

ArticulateDad said...

B*, yeah. Well, I focus on the lows a lot too. But, being out here, even semi-anonymously, helps me think about all sides. It's like being a father: you're forced to hear your own voice, your own neuroses and quirks. It helps to put them in perspective.

I've sometimes described love as a mirror. It's nice to get that from the blogosphere.

phd me said...

I'm sending good vibes your way about the applications. Hey, another friend of mine just got her fifth interview. I must be doing something right for other people!