Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bloody Great!

I'm still waiting for my website and email server to come back up. I wondered will the email simply sit and wait, or will it be bounced as undeliverable? So, I sent a test message:
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to [postmaster]. If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program
<articulate@prw.url>: Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=prw.url type=A: Host not found
Which, of course, means... the emails (if any) will simply be lost, and anyone who has attempted to contact me via email will discover that I no longer exist, will possibly have no other means to contact me, and [SIGH] who knows...

I wonder, how tacky would it be to email everyone I might have liked to have received email from to inform them (once the server comes up again, of course) that indeed there were email problems, but they have been resolved?

I think that's a rhetorical question, but the answer is probably, VERY! [SIGH] The problem is, I simply can't know who might or might not have emailed me during this interminable period, and sending a note to the 98% of people I would have liked to have heard from, but who most likely hadn't attempted to contact me would be... tacky.

Damn damn damn! It had to happen NOW, right? Ah well. It will pass, and life will go on. And if I lost contact with some people... let's hope there are occasions for me to renew that contact and let them know I still exist. All I can do really.

No comments: