Thursday, March 08, 2007

Wouldn't it be funny if...

You know, I just had a rather odd and disconcerting thought, as I walked downstairs to check my office mailbox, a box which has been empty all but three times (only once with mail for me) since I started renting here in November. Our old postal carrier, in Paradise has got to be the absolute worst, least considerate, laziest, postal carrier I have ever encountered. In fact, I have had some wonderful, considerate, thoughtful, intelligent, giving carriers in my day. But he... was not one of them. In fact, he refused, outright refused to care one iota about his job. You'd think after the sixty-ninth time reading deceased sprawled over a letter to my dad, he'd have the sense to realize the next one would reappear in the box the same way, the next day. (You know, like the old Saturday Night Live skit: our top story tonight, Francisco Franco is stiiiill dead!) That was just one of the issues. Believe me, there were more.

But... I'm fairly certain that he'd completely disregard the forwarding order that we put into place, which because it saves us from having junk mail forwarded is not entirely a problem (we have had only a spare handful of forwards received at our new location since arriving in October)... but, I've become a bit curious that I've heard back from next to none of the schools I applied to for faculty posts. Now, granted, if they were interested in interviewing me, you'd think they'd call, or email me at least. Our phone numbers haven't changed, thanks to the wonders of Vonage, and the cell phone industry. But, I do wonder if some of the correspondence I would have been getting from these schools, which by rights should have been forwarded to me, was not rather delivered to the new tenants of our old house, who after the sixty-ninth time writing "not here" on the envelopes, tired of the procedure and simply threw them out. Makes you wonder.

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I relate to this, as I sit at home wondering when the search committee will actually tell me that someone else accepted the job that I interviewed for (even though I already know who is going to accept the job)... when you haven't heard from the committees, you wonder all sorts of things!

Lilian said...

Hmmm, well, yes.