Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Vanished

This morning, I couldn't access my primary email account, which is on my Personal Research Website (PRW). I couldn't load up the site. Sometimes it goes down, unexpectedly. The host is cheap, but occasionally unreliable. Mostly however I'm quite satisfied. But it was down, for hours.

I finally called... and got a voice mail that said they only deal with emergencies via email, but fortunately a site being down qualifies as emergent. Also, fortunately, I have other email addresses off the PRW that I can access. They responded rather quickly... checking... then... your domain name has expired, please renew.

Apparently, my webhost sent 90-, 60-, and 30-day renewal notices... but I didn't get any of them. See, they had my old email address, one which was provided by our old ISP in Paradise, but since they don't service our area near Rocket City, we changed ISPs. I didn't think to check with them, and unfortunately, my permanent email forwarding address (at my first graduate institution) was set to forward to that old email as well. Aaarggh!

I wonder how many emails I've missed. Nothing for it, now. I renewed the domain name (I had prepaid for 2 years on the hosting contract, but the domain name was only registered for a year, I guess). But it may take "up to 72 hours to propagate worldwide," meaning, I suppose, that I may lose 3-4 days worth of emails. [SIGH]

Nothing for it. Let's just hope nothing important slips me by.

1 comment:

Lilian said...

Oh dear, that's truly a terrible situation to find oneself in!! I hope it's resolved fairly quickly and that no important emails are lost!!